Building Department FAQ

No answers matched your search
General Building Department Questions
What type of work requires a permit?
  • Any work that involves construction, alteration, conversion, repair, enlarging, moving, or demolishing any building or structure – or part of a structure – requires a permit. This includes, but is not limited to, any new commercial or residential building, re-roofs, solar panels, basement finishes, fireplaces, electrical service upgrades, gas pipe tests, sprinkler systems, signs, storage buildings, pergolas, sheds 120 square feet, and over, pools, decks, patio covers, and carports.
  • Residential fences (please call 305-795-2204 for guidelines).
  • Sheds under 120 square feet with no electricity.
  • Concrete work, however, driveways require a right of way permit from our Public Works department (please call 305-795-2204 for details).
  • Interior cosmetic work such as cabinets and flooring.
How do I apply for a permit?

As of 2019, applicants are required to set up an online account with Energov CSS and apply directly within the portal.
Follow these steps to successfully apply for a permit online. 

  • To begin, please visit the Citizen Self Service Portal
  • See the CSS Permit Portal Tutorial Video. To view the tutorial, please visit:
  • For a list of Permit Requirements and Permit application forms click HERE
  • Our office is also open to receive permit submittals. Monday Thru Friday from 8:30am to 4pm.
How long will it take to process my permit? How long is my permit valid?

Most permits are processed within 5-10 business days
Residential addition/remodel and new residential applications have a 15 business day time frame to review for completeness, though it is usually completed in 10 business days; after that, our plan review team has 10 business days to complete their review; they may reach out to request additional information which can extend the process; a thorough application will help us process your submittal as quickly as possible
Commercial permits have a 15 business day time frame to complete their review.
ALL permits are valid for 180 days, however an approved inspection will extend your permit for another 180 days;
Permits that show no activity (approved inspections) for 180 will become invalid and may result in the applicant having to reapply and pay for another permit.

What if work has been completed without a permit?

If work is currently being done without a permit, a stop work notice will be issued and the property owner or contractor will be required to obtain a permit.
The cost of a permit for this type of work is twice the cost of what the permit would be regularly.
Work that has already been completed without a permit will receive a violation notice and will be required to apply for a permit – a permit may be denied if work is not compliant with the code and work may be required to be demolished or removed at the cost of the applicant/property owner; non-compliance with violation notices can result in fines, liens on property.

How do I schedule an inspection?

Inspection requests can be made online. Click here.

  • Requests made before 3:30 PM will be scheduled for the following business day.

  • If you need to cancel, please call 305-795-2204 as soon as possible.

  • Re-inspections for the same work may result in an $85 re-inspection fee.

  • Inspections for re-roofs require a ladder to be set and secured by the applicant.

  • Work is allowed: Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM. Saturday 8:00 AM - 6:00 PM. No work is allowed on Sunday or holidays.

  • Permits and related plans are required to be on-site for each inspection.


  • It is the permit applicant's responsibility to ensure that work is accessible and exposed for inspection purposes.

  • Neither the Building Official nor the Village shall be liable for the expense entailed in the removal or replacement of any material required to allow inspections.

How do I know if I am working with a reputable contractor?
  1. Before hiring a contractor, ask to see their state or county-issued license. Make sure to verify the license with DBPR HERE
  2. Ask for their insurance.
  3. Ask for at least two references – and make sure to check each of them.
  4. Ask to see the permit BEFORE the contractor begins work and check to see that all required inspections are requested and passed before making a final payment.
General Information
Phone Numbers
305-795-2204 Inspection Line: 305-762-4949
Emergencies: Dial 911
10050 NE 2 AVE
Miami Shores,

Monday - Friday
8:30 AM – 4:00 PM

Ismael Naranjo, CBO
Building Department Director