MIAMI SHORES VILLAGE
This position is responsible for collection, preservation, care, and management of records and documents that are intended to preserve the past for the benefit of future purposes. Position reports to the Library Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responsible for cataloging and managing valuable collections that have deep historical values.
- Collects, authenticates, and appraises historical documents and archival materials.
- Creates and maintains archives for the collection for easy retrieval of information.
- Preserves objects, documents, and records, and copies films and audio tapes to reliable formats.
- Researches and records the historical significance, origin, and value of archival materials.
- Coordinates and organizes events and programs for public awareness about collections such as workshops, lectures, exhibitions, and classes.
- Establishes protocols and public guidelines towards accessing and using archival materials.
- Discovers and locates new materials and works towards their acquisition and display.
- Selects, retrieves and manages various materials for the sake of preservation.
- Responds to patron requests for information about collections and local history.
- Produces teaching materials to pass knowledge about historical collections to the public.
- Coordinates various personals and partnering institutions that work with museums and art collectors to ensure the effective running of programs in their various offices.
- Stores and preserves perishable documents.
- Analyzes a wide range of materials such as documents, paintings, films, maps, videos, etc. to examine their physical condition, authenticity, and historical context.
- Responsible for negotiating the acquisition of new collection from prospective sellers.
- Identifies and bids for funding from various private and public organizations.
- Organizes public events such as talks and exhibitions and interacts with patrons during the event to share information covering historical collections.
- Curates materials to be featured in publications.
- Maintains and designs organizational technique to ensure that all archive materials can be easily traced and identified.
- Develops metadata, prepares indexes, etc.
- Collects vital and perishable information such as records and documents and preserves them as a collection in a conducive and favorable environment that will cause little or no harm to the intended documents to be preserved.
- Promotes the preserved content to make it accessible to the public.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- Masters of Library Science or Masters of Library Information Science degree required.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of experience as a reference/cataloging librarian, Archiving/Collection development or related field;
- Certificate from Academy of Archivist is desired;
- Or equivalent training, education, and/or experience; and
- Valid state of Florida Driver’s License.
Work requires the physical ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting and training room, e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls, and observance of fire and building safety regulations.
SALARY: $25.00/ HOUR
This is a part-time position. 15 hours per week.
Submit resumes to email@example.com. Resumes accepted through February 28, 2023.
Miami Shores Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/Drug Free Workplace